Wednesday, November 29, 2017

"I just wish he'd grow up & not be so wimpy."

Saturday, August 29, 1992
     I'm glad I kept Chief in the kitchen last night. He threw up in two places. It's a lot easier to clean the kitchen floor than the carpet but it still makes me gag.
     Connie called this morning & left a message on the machine cause I was in the middle of changing diapers. I was excited when I got downstairs to listen to the tape and she said they were leaving Key West tomorrow. Then she said they were going to Miami for at least 10 days. She wanted me to call the people of my phone list. I waited a few minutes til I stopped crying enough to be able to talk. Like last time I got two answering machines and one real person. I called Connie back to let her know the one person I didn't get any answer for. She asked if I was sick & I told her no, I was just so upset that they won't be home next week. She asked if Ez. was sick & I said no, it was just so hard without Guy here & I was counting on him being home next week. She said if I needed to come over or just talk to call her. I don't know what good it would do.
     I finally took Ez. in the stroller to get the newspaper and we stopped to look at a couple of yard sales along the way back but didn't find anything.
     I started crying all over again when we got home. I thought Guy might call around 4:00 but he didn't. He called while I was giving her a bath. I couldn't understand him very well on the tape but he did say he'd call back. It was around 9:30 when he called. Connie's husband had told him I was upset when she talked to me. He said he knew I would be. He tried calling Jeff & Molly but got an answering machine & it didn't say their name so he wasn't sure if it was them or not. He left the number to the ship but they didn't call. It was probably not them. He got off a little early yesterday by working late the day before. He went to do a little shopping but didn't have much luck. The stores cut back on their hours to save electricity because most of their power comes from Miami. He said he got me & Ez. something but he didn't say what. He said he didn't have any trouble getting money with the VISA.
     When I told him about Chief he said we'd get a dog house for him when he gets back, and maybe even give him away. As much as I wish we didn't have him, I'd feel guilty if we gave him away. I just wish he'd grow up & not be so wimpy.
     Guy said he'd call again from Miami next weekend if the phone lines were ok. I asked him what they'd be doing there & he said probably just providing men to help out wherever they're needed. He won't have to do anything since he's on 12-hr shifts. He said they might not need them that long & I told him Connie had said it'd probably be longer. He said we'd just have to wait & see. I have been praying so hard that they'd be back early & was so glad when they said they'd be home next week and now I just don't understand why they have to go there when there have already been so many people from here and other places sent there. It's just not fair. 
     At her bedtime snack tonight Ez. wanted to drink the last ⅓ or so of her milk without the sipper seal on her cup. We spilled some but I was holding the burp rag under her chin so it didn't get all over her pjs. I hope she doesn't want to do it that way every time from now on. At least she let me hold the cup for her, after a little bit of fussing.


August 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment